History

Nestled in the heart of suburban Pittsford, NY Irondequoit Country Club is just minutes away from downtown Rochester. It’s a place for friends and families, business and social gatherings. Irondequoit provides a place for our members to relax and enjoy a full range of sporting and social activities in an atmosphere of understated elegance.

 

A Brief History of Irondequoit Country Club


In the early 1900's, the newly imported game of golf was all the rage, with courses being laid out or with some frequency.  In 1916, our twelve Founding Fathers formed the Irondequoit Country Club and began to look for a site for their country club.  At this time land on East Avenue in Pittsford, New York became available and was purchased.

The distinguished Scottish golf course architect, Donald Ross, was engaged to lay out a nine hole course on the hilly East Avenue terrain.  With horses and men, he fashioned a tract of 3,100 yards containing three par threes, three par fours and three par fives.  The course was played twice, totaling 6,200 yards, and although relatively short in distance, Ross compensated for this by creating a challenging lay-out over the hilly terrain, which produced many side-hill, down-hill, and up-hill lies, all commanding a golfer’s best shot.

In 1952, a second nine was added when land was purchased from Oak Hill Country Club, abutting their famous East Course.  The new property incorporates a meandering creek that comes into play on several holes.  While hills are not present on the back nine, and while the back nine contains only one par three and one par five, it is made difficult by its tree lined fairways, long and demanding par fours, the meandering creek, and undulating greens.  Many local players believe that the thirteenth hole, a long and up-hill par four with a creek at 300 yards, and an approach to a small, elevated and well bunkered green, is the most difficult par four in the Rochester district.

The original clubhouse was designed by Herbert Stern, one of Rochester’s leading architects.  The original structure was destroyed by fire in 1929 and replaced by the current art-deco structure, again designed by Stern.  The clubhouse was enlarged and remodeled in the 1950's to accommodate the enlarged membership, and again remodeled in the 1980s.  In July of 2006, the membership approved a demolition and replacement of the current structure, with a well designed clubhouse that will serve our Members well, for decades in our future.

Irondequoit Country Club added tennis, swimming and paddle over the years, and today four tennis courts are served by a pro shop, paddle is available on four state-of-the-art courts and the swimming pool is large and pleasant, offering views of both the course and the clubhouse.

 
For many years our golf pro was Frank Commisso, who started as a caddie at Irondequoit Country Club in 1920 at the age of nine.  During his professional career, Frank established himself as one of the better playing pros in the Western New York area.  He won the Western New York P.G.A. eleven times, the Buffalo Open three times, as well as other local tournaments.  Six times he qualified for the National P.G.A.  During his distinguished career, he served as President of the Western New York P.G.A., District VP of the National P.G.A., a member of the National P.G.A. advisory board and was elected a Director of the National P.G.A. Palm Beach Golf Course.

Another memorable bag toter who blossomed on the nine-hole links was Sam Urzetta, who became the USGA Men’s National Amateur Champion in 1950.  His victory was considered one of Rochester’s greatest golfing feats, as compared to Walter Hagen’s USGA Open Victory more that thirty years earlier.  Sam was also a member of the 1951 and 1953 Walker Cup Teams and a member of the American Cup Team in 1952 and 1954.  He played in the Masters Tournament in Augusta, on three occasions (twice as an amateur in 1951 and 1954, and once as a professional in 1956).

Irondequoit Country Club is proud to welcome the P.G.A.’s Nationwide Tour.  Over the years, our club has hosted many local inter club competitions, and is a member of the famous Rochester Twilight League, one of the oldest inter-club leagues in the Nation.  ICC has hosted many Rochester District Golf Association events and recently was the host of a qualifier for the US Open.

Today, Irondequoit Country Club has 350 members, an active golf and tennis program,  recreational swimming, area famous dining, and a family-friendly atmosphere.  The Club is evolving from its early roots, and is a non-denominational club offering a superior recreational experience to families.  We are fortunate to be located on a beautiful piece of land with a well-designed course, in a convenient suburban location.
The Course that you will see is playing as a par seventy (holes seven and eighteen, which the Members play as par fives, will be played by the Pros as par fours).  The Course will play at a relatively short 6,720 yards. but three of the holes were ranked by the P.G.A. among the toughest 50 on the 2005 Nationwide Tour (holes 7, 8, and 17).  Among one of the most scenic course in the District, Irondequoit also is in the top ten in difficulty.  The new tees added on holes 8, 11, and 17 have stretched the length of our course and will provide ample challenge for the professional players.  The course lay-out is a shot maker’s course, with a premium on ball placement and putting.  In 2005, the course received accolades from both P.G.A. officials and the players themselves for  the layout and the course condition.